Wikipedia annotation Edit Wikipedia article
The wikipedia text that you see displayed on our web site is a download from Wikipedia. This means that the information we display is a copy of the information from the Wikipedia database. The button above ("Edit wikipedia entry") takes you to the edit page for the article directly within wikipedia. You should be aware you are not editing our local copy of this information. Any changes that you make to the Wikipedia article will not be displayed by our site until we next download the article from Wikipedia. We currently download new content on a nightly basis.
Before you edit for the first time
Wikipedia is a free, online encyclopedia. Although anyone can edit or contribute to an article, Wikipedia has some strong editing guidelines and policies, which promote the Wikipedia standard of style and etiquette. Your edits and contributions are more likely to be accepted (and remain) if they are in accordance with this policy.
You should take a few minutes to view the following pages:
Things you should know
How your contribution will be recorded
Anyone can edit a Wikipedia entry. You can do this either as a new user or you can register with Wikipedia and log on. When you click on the "Edit Wikipedia entry" button, your browser will direct you to the edit page for this entry in Wikipedia. If you are a registered user and currently logged in, your changes will be recorded under your Wikipedia user name. However, if you are not a registered user or are not logged on, your changes will be logged under your computer’s IP address. This has two main implications. Firstly, as a registered Wikipedia user your edits are more likely seen as valuable contribution (although all edits are open to community scrutiny regardless). Secondly, if you edit under an IP address you may be sharing this IP address with other users. If your IP address has previously been blocked (due to being flagged as a source of 'vandalism') your edits will also be blocked. You can find more information on this and creating a user account at Wikipedia.
If you have problems editing a particular page, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to help.
Information we would like to see added
We would value contributions that are referenced directly to the primary literature. Information on structure and function will be especially valuable.
Adding references is made much easier by this tool.
For a good example of what is possible in wikipedia, look at the Hammerhead Ribozyme entry.
Does Rfam agree with the content of the Wikipedia entry ?
Rfam has chosen to create Wikipedia entries for all of our RNA families and to open them up to community annotation. While the original Wikipedia article that we import was (in most cases) generated from Rfam annotations, the Wikipedia article you see now may bear little resemblance to that original text. The Wikipedia community does monitor edits to try to ensure that (a) the quality of article annotation increases, and (b) vandalism is very quickly dealt with. However, we would like to emphasise that Rfam does not curate the Wikipedia entries and we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information on the Wikipedia page.
The community annotation is a new facility of the Rfam web site. If you have problems editing or experience problems with these pages please contact us.
If you are interested in contributing to a wide range of articles relating to RNA, see the Wikiproject RNA page.
|, ELAV1, HUR, Hua, MelG, ELAV like RNA binding protein 1|
The protein encoded by this gene is a member of the ELAVL protein family. This encoded protein contains 3 RNA-binding domains and binds cis-acting AU-rich elements. One of its best-known functions is to stabilize mRNAs in order to regulate gene expression.
- GRCh38: Ensembl release 89: ENSG00000066044 - Ensembl, May 2017
- GRCm38: Ensembl release 89: ENSMUSG00000040028 - Ensembl, May 2017
- "Human PubMed Reference:".
- "Mouse PubMed Reference:".
- Ma WJ, Cheng S, Campbell C, Wright A, Furneaux H (Jun 1996). "Cloning and characterization of HuR, a ubiquitously expressed Elav-like protein". J Biol Chem. 271 (14): 8144–8151. doi:10.1074/jbc.271.14.8144. PMID 8626503.
- Ma WJ, Furneaux H (Feb 1997). "Localization of the human HuR gene to chromosome 19p13.2". Hum Genet. 99 (1): 32–33. doi:10.1007/s004390050305. PMID 9003489.
- "Entrez Gene: ELAVL1 ELAV (embryonic lethal, abnormal vision, Drosophila)-like 1 (Hu antigen R)".
This "further reading" section may contain inappropriate and/or excessive suggestions. Please ensure that only a reasonable number of balanced, topical, reliable, and notable further reading suggestions are given. Consider utilising appropriate texts as inline sources or creating a separate bibliography article. (March 2017)
- Nabors LB, Suswam E, Huang Y, Yang X, Johnson MJ, King PH (2003). "Tumor necrosis factor alpha induces angiogenic factor up-regulation in malignant glioma cells: a role for RNA stabilization and HuR". Cancer Res. 63 (14): 4181–7. PMID 12874024.
- Abdelmohsen K, Lal A, Kim HH, Gorospe M (2007). "Posttranscriptional orchestration of an anti-apoptotic program by HuR". Cell Cycle. 6 (11): 1288–92. doi:10.4161/cc.6.11.4299. PMID 17534146.
- Bonaldo MF, Lennon G, Soares MB (1997). "Normalization and subtraction: two approaches to facilitate gene discovery". Genome Res. 6 (9): 791–806. doi:10.1101/gr.6.9.791. PMID 8889548.
- Sakai K, Kitagawa Y, Hirose G (1999). "Analysis of the RNA recognition motifs of human neuronal ELAV-like proteins in binding to a cytokine mRNA". Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 256 (2): 263–268. doi:10.1006/bbrc.1999.0282. PMID 10079173.
- Wang W, Furneaux H, Cheng H, et al. (2000). "HuR regulates p21 mRNA stabilization by UV light". Mol. Cell. Biol. 20 (3): 760–769. doi:10.1128/MCB.20.3.760-769.2000. PMC . PMID 10629032.
- Blaxall BC, Pellett AC, Wu SC, et al. (2000). "Purification and characterization of beta-adrenergic receptor mRNA-binding proteins". J. Biol. Chem. 275 (6): 4290–4297. doi:10.1074/jbc.275.6.4290. PMID 10660597.
- Park S, Myszka DG, Yu M, et al. (2000). "HuD RNA recognition motifs play distinct roles in the formation of a stable complex with AU-rich RNA". Mol. Cell. Biol. 20 (13): 4765–4772. doi:10.1128/MCB.20.13.4765-4772.2000. PMC . PMID 10848602.
- Spångberg K, Wiklund L, Schwartz S (2000). "HuR, a protein implicated in oncogene and growth factor mRNA decay, binds to the 3' ends of hepatitis C virus RNA of both polarities". Virology. 274 (2): 378–390. doi:10.1006/viro.2000.0461. PMID 10964780.
- Brennan CM, Gallouzi IE, Steitz JA (2000). "Protein ligands to HuR modulate its interaction with target mRNAs in vivo". J. Cell Biol. 151 (1): 1–14. doi:10.1083/jcb.151.1.1. PMC . PMID 11018049.
- Gallouzi IE, Steitz JA (2001). "Delineation of mRNA export pathways by the use of cell-permeable peptides". Science. 294 (5548): 1895–1901. doi:10.1126/science.1064693. PMID 11729309.
- Goldberg-Cohen I, Furneauxb H, Levy AP (2002). "A 40-bp RNA element that mediates stabilization of vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA by HuR". J. Biol. Chem. 277 (16): 13635–13640. doi:10.1074/jbc.M108703200. PMID 11834731.
- Wang W, Fan J, Yang X, et al. (2002). "AMP-activated kinase regulates cytoplasmic HuR". Mol. Cell. Biol. 22 (10): 3425–3436. doi:10.1128/MCB.22.10.3425-3436.2002. PMC . PMID 11971974.
- Yeap BB, Voon DC, Vivian JP, et al. (2002). "Novel binding of HuR and poly(C)-binding protein to a conserved UC-rich motif within the 3'-untranslated region of the androgen receptor messenger RNA". J. Biol. Chem. 277 (30): 27183–27192. doi:10.1074/jbc.M202883200. PMID 12011088.
- Li H, Park S, Kilburn B, et al. (2003). "Lipopolysaccharide-induced methylation of HuR, an mRNA-stabilizing protein, by CARM1. Coactivator-associated arginine methyltransferase". J. Biol. Chem. 277 (47): 44623–44630. doi:10.1074/jbc.M206187200. PMID 12237300.
- Chen CY, Xu N, Shyu AB (2002). "Highly selective actions of HuR in antagonizing AU-rich element-mediated mRNA destabilization". Mol. Cell. Biol. 22 (20): 7268–7278. doi:10.1128/MCB.22.20.7268-7278.2002. PMC . PMID 12242302.
- Giles KM, Daly JM, Beveridge DJ, et al. (2003). "The 3'-untranslated region of p21WAF1 mRNA is a composite cis-acting sequence bound by RNA-binding proteins from breast cancer cells, including HuR and poly(C)-binding protein". J. Biol. Chem. 278 (5): 2937–2946. doi:10.1074/jbc.M208439200. PMID 12431987.
- Strausberg RL, Feingold EA, Grouse LH, et al. (2003). "Generation and initial analysis of more than 15,000 full-length human and mouse cDNA sequences". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 99 (26): 16899–16903. doi:10.1073/pnas.242603899. PMC . PMID 12477932.
- Wang W, Yang X, López de Silanes I, et al. (2003). "Increased AMP:ATP ratio and AMP-activated protein kinase activity during cellular senescence linked to reduced HuR function". J. Biol. Chem. 278 (29): 27016–27023. doi:10.1074/jbc.M300318200. PMID 12730239.
|This article on a gene on human chromosome 19 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
You can either download the motif alignment or view it directly in your browser window. More...
You can download (or view in your browser) a text representation of a Rfam alignment in various formats:
- Gapped FASTA
- Ungapped FASTA
You can view or download motif alignments in several formats. Check either the "download" button, to save the formatted alignment, or "view", to see it in your browser window, and click "Generate".
There are 21 Rfam families which match this motif.
This section shows the families which have been annotated with this motif. Users should be aware that the motifs are structural constructs and do not necessarily conform to taxonomic boundaries in the way that Rfam families do. More...
To annotate the family with a motif model, the seed sequence was first filtered using a 0.9 fraction identity cut-off. The filtered seed was then scanned using Infernal cmscan (v1.1) with a concatenated CM file containing each of the motifs. Significance of hits between a seed sequence and the CM was based on a gathering threshold that was individually set for each motif. Only motifs where more than two and at least 10% of seed sequences scored higher than the gathering threshold were included for the next stage of processing. These subsets of motifs were then rescanned against the entire (non-filtered) seed to generate matches.
Number of Hits: the number of sequences in the family seed that score above the gathering threshold from motif.
Fraction of Hits: the fraction of sequences in the family seed that score above the gathering threshold from motif.
Sum of Bits: the sum of the bit scores of matches between the motif and the family seed sequence.
Image: plot illustrating where on the consensus secondary structure matches occur between seed sequences and the motif model.
|Original order||Family Accession||Family Description||Number of Hits||Fraction of Hits||Sum of Bits||Image|
|3||RF00025||Ciliate telomerase RNA||2||0.100||27.4|
|3||RF00028||Group I catalytic intron||3||0.250||38.9|
|3||RF00096||U8 small nucleolar RNA||8||0.145||103.1|
|3||RF00443||Small nucleolar RNA SNORA27||10||0.417||132.0|
|3||RF00488||Yeast U1 spliceosomal RNA||3||0.600||36.9|
|3||RF00563||Small nucleolar RNA SNORA53||14||0.500||173.6|
|3||RF00630||Pseudomonas sRNA P26||6||0.222||72.4|
|3||RF01249||Small nucleolar RNA snR190||2||0.200||26.0|
|3||RF01263||Small nucleolar RNA snR191||2||0.182||27.4|
|3||RF01265||Small nucleolar RNA snR42||2||0.400||27.4|
|3||RF01272||Small nucleolar RNA snR86||2||0.400||28.0|
|3||RF01583||small nucleolar RNA snoR01||2||0.667||25.6|
|3||RF01590||small nucleolar RNA snoR14||2||0.500||26.5|
|3||RF01848||ACEA small nucleolar RNA U3||6||0.214||73.9|
|3||RF01960||Eukaryotic small subunit ribosomal RNA||11||0.121||158.5|
|3||RF02076||Gammaproteobacterial sRNA STnc100||2||0.083||25.0|
|3||RF02452||Bacillus sRNA ncr1575||4||0.138||49.4|
|3||RF02543||Eukaryotic large subunit ribosomal RNA||27||0.307||520.5|
This section shows the database cross-references that we have for this Rfam motif.
López de Silanes I, Zhan M, Lal A, Yang X, Gorospe M Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:2987-92. Identification of a target RNA motif for RNA-binding protein HuR. PUBMED:14981256
Dassi E, Zuccotti P, Leo S, Provenzani A, Assfalg M, D'Onofrio M, Riva P, Quattrone A Nucleic Acids Res. 2013 Hyper conserved elements in vertebrate mRNA 3'-UTRs reveal a translational network of RNA-binding proteins controlled by HuR. PUBMED:23376935
External database links
|External sites:|| 1: http://www.rna.icmb.utexas.edu/SIM/4B/UAA_GAN/
Curation and motif details
This section shows the detailed information about the Rfam motif. We're happy to receive updated or improved alignments for new or existing families. Submit your new alignment and we'll take a look.
|Seed source||Published; PMID:14981256|
|Type||Specific Recognition Motif|
cmbuild -F CM SEED
cmcalibrate --mpi --seed 1 CM
|Covariance model||Download the Infernal CM for the motif here|